Minimum requirements, responsibilities and entitlements
Expand all | Collapse all
[expand title='Academic Schools will']
- Provide a programme of learning that will enable students to develop and document their skills and knowledge.
- Give support and expert guidance for finding and securing placements based on the University’s strong relationship with external placement providers.
- Allocate each student a designated academic placement contact who will lead the partnership between the student, the placement provider and the University.
- Provide each student with clear and comprehensive information on all aspects of the placement, designated roles and responsibilities, and available support.
- Where opportunities with a new placement provider are being established, ensure that the placement will provide a sufficiently challenging environment in which the programme learning outcomes can be met.
- Ensure that programme aims and assessment requirements are understood by placement providers.
- Conduct an initial health and safety assessment of each placement, ensuring that any identified risks are appropriately managed by the placement provider.
- Communicate with students throughout the placement and support and monitor student engagement.
- Provide appropriate assessment opportunities that enable learners to meet and demonstrate achievement of the relevant learning outcomes.
- Provide timely feedback on assessments that supports and promotes effective learning.
- Signpost the full range of support services available to Cardiff students whilst on placement.
- Ensure that all students on relevant programmes of study have an equal opportunity to benefit from placement learning.
- Ensure that reasonable adjustments are made for disabled students, working with the student, the placement provider and the Disability and Dyslexia Service as appropriate.
- Ensure all programmes are managed and operated in accordance with the relevant Senate Regulations and Senate Assessment Regulations.
- Provide comprehensive support should any difficulties arise, including help in finding an alternative placement host if necessary.
[expand title='Students will']
- Confirm with the School and placement provider as soon as possible:
o acceptance of an offer of a placement;
o the date on which the placement will begin and the expected date of completion;
o the name of the appointed supervisor at the host organisation;
o contact details for the period of the placement.
- Maintain contact with the University throughout the placement period.
- Understand the health and safety issues relating to the placement and contribute where appropriate to the risk assessment exercise.
- Learn about the culture of the placement host and uphold values of dignity, respect and courtesy.
- Engage fully in the placement experience to ensure that they are able to make the most of their programme and maximise their potential.
- Complete and submit assessments on time (both formative and summative).
- Utilise feedback received on assessments to improve future work.
- Recognise the skills they are developing and be able to articulate and record these appropriately.
- Inform appointed supervisors and University contacts of any issues that arise in the course of the placement.
- Fulfil the expectations of the Cardiff University Student Charter.
[expand title='Placement providers will']
- Engage students in a challenging environment which will allow them to achieve the placement learning outcomes.
- Be fully cognisant of the programme aims and assessment requirements set out by the University.
- Ensure the health and safety of students. This will include contributing to the initial University-led risk assessment, providing an induction and any relevant training, and maintaining an environment which is free from harassment and discrimination.
- Maintain effective mentoring and supervision.
- Provide reports and feedback on student activities and performance in accordance with programme requirements.
- Communicate to the University any issues which arise in the course of the placement.
Expand all | Collapse all